The Bone Health Clinic at OAM is devoted to providing comprehensive bone health care, including: osteoporosis screening, diagnosis, treatment, therapy and education. We strive to promote bone health, reduce fracture risk, optimize surgical outcomes, and prevent refractures. Your individual treatment recommendation is based on your bone density and laboratory tests, and a comprehensive evaluation. We’ll work together to help you decide on a plan, monitor your progress, and support you in meeting your goals.
OAM personal care means:
- You receive one-on-one counseling,
- We coordinate bone density testing, and lab and pharmacy services,
- We provide the best treatment options available,
- We offer Functional Balance Training and care from our skilled Physical Therapists.
Do I Need Bone Health Care?
We see patients of all ages if there is any concern for poor bone quality. You may be an ideal candidate if you are:
- A young person experiencing multiple fractures,
- Over the age of 50 and sustained a low energy fracture,
- At high risk, having: inflammatory arthritis, cancer, epilepsy, diabetes, poor balance, low estrogen or testosterone levels, a family history of osteoporosis, or experienced early menopause.
- At high risk, being: underweight, immobile, or lactose intolerant.
Is Bone Health Only a Women’s Issue?
Not at all – bone health is a concern for men as well. In fact, 25% of our patients are men. Consider these facts about men’s bone health:
- One in four men will experience an osteoporotic fracture.
- By 2050, the worldwide incidence of hip fracture in men is projected to increase by 310%.
- By age 65, men begin to lose bone mass at the same rate as women.
The OAM Difference
Our Bone Health Clinic is one of the oldest in the nation. Since its founding in 2007, the program has grown to be a Star Performer of the American Orthopaedic Association’s Own the Bone program and registry. This achievement is reserved for institutions that perform only the highest level of fragility fracture and bone health care. Through our participation in Own the Bone and recognition as an Own the Bone Star Performer, OAM has demonstrated a commitment to helping patients understand their risks for future fractures and the steps they can take to prevent them! We are the only practice in West Michigan to be named a Star Performer.
These are some more ways the care you will receive at OAM is different:
- We treat patients pre-operatively to build up bone stock and be in optimal condition for their surgery,
- Patients benefit from the latest research findings and national collaboration,
- We continually participate in cutting-edge research, and
- We freely share our knowledge and findings, keeping patients, family members, OAM physicians, and primary care physicians informed.
We help you improve your bone health with:
- Weight-bearing and muscle-strengthening exercises,
- Balance exercises,
- Good nutrition,
- Vitamin and mineral supplements,
- Smoking cessation,
- Limiting alcohol intake.
Do you take my insurance?
We take many different types of insurances; to confirm we accept yours, please contact our Billing Department at (616) 459-4343.
Please note: We are not typically covered by Workers Compensation or Automobile Insurance; we will bill your primary health insurance.
Our clinic is directed by Tammy Beckett, FNP-BC. She is certified in fracture liaison services, is an investigator on research projects, collaborates with bone metabolism experts, and works with orthopaedic surgeons (within and outside of OAM) to improve patient surgical outcomes.
Bone Health Director
Balance Therapy & Fall Prevention
Discover ways to prevent falling.
Read more about improving your bone health.
If you have questions about better bone health, would like a second opinion concerning fracture treatment and care, or want to schedule a bone density test, call us at 616-459-7101, extension 2500. You may make your own appointment to see our Bone Health specialist; no referral is needed (unless it is required by your insurance).
What Patients Have to Say
“After an osteoporosis diagnosis, I was feeling defeated. I’m grateful for a referral to Tammy. Her super positive attitude, her experience and knowledge regarding bone loss/bone building treatments has boosted my morale and given me a path forward for bettering my bone health.”
“I appreciate that overall bone health is a comprehensive offering at this orthopaedic group. Nutrition and exercise and overall plan for living and aging well is supported with Tammy’s consultation. A real value for your healthcare time and dollars. I felt very personally and professionally cared for.”
“My initial visit with Tammy was very encouraging. She listened to my concerns about treatment and suggested other avenues to try to strengthen my bones before resorting to drug therapy. Her professionalism and knowledge as well as her friendly demeanor put me at ease. I am at the right place!”
“Under Tammy’s care, I have gone from osteopenia to normal bone density in five years. In the process, I’ve learned a lot about what to eat, which supplements to take, and the importance of exercise in maintaining and promoting bone health.”
“Successfully treated my osteoporosis making it possible for me to undergo successful back surgery with secure screw placements.”
“Tammy … gave me lots of suggestions about diet and other things to help control my pain. Highly recommend!”