Spine Center at OAM
Patients at Orthopaedic Associates of Michigan (OAM) can receive comprehensive evaluation and treatment for back and neck problems from specialists who are affiliated with the Spine Center at OAM. Our specialists work together to bring our patients the right care from the right expert at the right time, in a convenient location that is close to home.
The staff of our Spine Center includes fellowship-trained, board-certified orthopedic surgeons specializing in surgical and nonsurgical treatment of cervical, thoracic, and lumbar spinal disorders and fractures, as well as pain management and electrodiagnostic medicine. Our physicians are supported by an expert team of highly trained physical therapists, nurses, radiologists, and other key professionals working together to provide expert care for disorders and trauma of the spine.
Often, treatment does not require surgery. However, when surgery is the best option, procedures are performed at Spectrum Health and affiliated hospitals.
Treatment for Back and Neck Problems
We care for adult patients with neck and back problems including:
- Conditions caused by aging (degenerative disease): Lumbar and spinal stenosis, degenerative disc disease, herniated disc, osteoporosis and fragility/compression fractures of the spine, spondylolisthesis.
- Central spinal cord compression (myelopathy) of the cervical and thoracic spine.
- Problems with a spinal nerve root (radiculopathy) of the cervical, thoracic or lumbar spine.
- Arthritis of the spine.
- Tumors of the spine and spinal cord.
- Spinal deformities such as scoliosis and kyphosis.
- Spine trauma and spinal cord injuries.
- Acute or chronic back and neck pain.
Our services include evaluation, pain management, physical therapy and surgery.
- Complete musculoskeletal evaluation
- Comprehensive radiology imaging including MRI, CT scans, bone scans, X-rays and PET scans
- EMG/nerve induction studies through Neurology
- Evaluation for inflammatory arthritis
- Injections (epidural injections, nerve root blocks, facet injections, dorsal rhizotomy, sacroiliac injections)
- Pain medication consultation
- Spinal cord stimulators
Services include strengthening, stretching, core exercises and manual therapy. There is a complete Physical Therapy department at OAM.
Harnessing the most advanced surgical techniques, Spine Center surgeons treat all spine conditions from the base of the skull (cervical spine) to the pelvis (lumbar spine).
Surgeons frequently perform decompression, fusion and instrumentation procedures via minimally invasive and/or endoscopic approaches, as well as via traditional open surgery when appropriate. In addition to procedures such as discectomy, laminectomy and laminoplasty, surgeons perform osteotomies for spinal deformity and treat scoliosis.
OAM spine surgeons bring special expertise in minimally invasive decompression, minimally invasive instrumented fusion, minimally invasive anterior fusions in the lumbar spine (direct lateral interbody fusion) and endoscopic lumbar decompressions.